Associate Director, Patient Marketing
My client is a small biopharmaceutical company located in the Sunnyvale, California area but will be moving to the San Carlos area in the Spring. They are focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics to treat autoimmune diseases, inflammatory disorders and cancer, primarily focused on orphan and rare diseases. As a clinical-stage company with a broad portfolio in multiple therapeutic areas, this company pushes beyond “good enough” and strives for a totally new way of healing.
This organization balances a passion for science with the deep-seated belief that patients suffering from serious diseases deserve more than incremental improvements to the length and quality of their lives.
They are driven not only by their vision to develop great medicines, but also by the desires and personal goals of their employees.
This company recognizes and values the unique strengths of their team members and the impact they have on their ability to create great medicines. They have created a corporate culture of casual intensity, placing emphasis on hard work, honesty and industry-leading science in a fun, team-oriented atmosphere.
I am currently seeking an Associate Director, Patient Marketing to join this company as they build out their commercial team. They are seeking an experienced marketing professional to lead their patient education and promotional efforts and to support commercialization of the company’s first product.
- US focused Pharma/Biotech Patient marketing experience (including having built a patient campaign)
- Prior digital marketing experience
- Experience with Societies and Advocacies
- Ability to roll with the punches and work without a lot of oversight
- Ability to learn the science
- Plusses: Rheum or Neph experience, launch experience and sales experience
- Patient Ambassador Program experience a plus
- Ability (and desire) to roll up your sleeves and get in the trenches
- Must be authorized to work for any employer in the US without authorization
- Role must be full-time office based post-COVID, NO REMOTE
The Associate Director (AD) of Patient Marketing will be responsible for leading the development and execution of strategic and tactical patient marketing plans for the assigned product. The ideal candidate will bring experience developing new markets and assessing needs for patient education and promotion, and a record of accomplishment in building and executing successful campaigns to patients and caregivers. This individual will collaborate with team members from Marketing, Market Access, Medical Affairs, Commercial Analytics, Commercial Operations and Sales.
- Evaluate the patient landscape and the educational needs of patients in order to activate the patient/physician dialogue related to the disease and assigned product
- Develop and drive patient strategic and tactical planning, including unbranded education and branded promotion, in collaboration with Healthcare Provider (HCP) Marketing, Market Access, and Commercial Analytics
- Coordinate efforts where appropriate, with Medical Affairs colleagues and other cross functional partners
- Collaborate with Commercial Analytics and Market Research to define adoption drivers and barriers, patient value proposition and messaging, and patient education strategy
- Lead the development of patient facing tactics including the patient website, digital, patient CRM strategy
- Develop patient-facing positioning and messaging, ensuring alignment with overall brand strategy and HCP initiatives
- Manage agency partners for educational and promotional campaign materials and tactics
- Drive development and approval of all materials through the medical, legal and regulatory review process (PRC)
- Lead a patient ambassador team should it be determined that one is needed
- Manage and execute patient advisory boards and focus groups where necessary
- Advance existing and foster new trusted, long term relationships with advocacy partners
- Work to Identify key priorities of patient advocacy groups and develop and implement plans to grow partnerships and support strategic initiatives
- Manage timelines, budget, expenses and resources against commercial and corporate goals
- Institute key processes necessary to achieve short and long-term strategic goals
- Ensure all programs are compliant with relevant laws, regulatory requirements and company policies governing interactions with patients and healthcare providers
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA or post-graduate degree preferred
- 6+ years of pharmaceutical/biotech Marketing experience, advertising agency or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Patient marketing experience required
- experience in Rheumatology or Nephrology disease is a plus
- Experience launching new products is a plus
- Deep understanding of patient journeys, communications channels and tactic design
- Significant experience in marketing strategy and tactical planning with ability to convey plans to internal and external partners
- Demonstrated ability to leverage commercial insights and analytics data to drive decision making
- Works well within a dynamic environment with ability to quickly make an impact
- Strong organization and project management skills